My name is Elizabeth Olvera. I am a registered and bonded legal document assistant. As a legal document assistant, I can perform the following self-help services:
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE – DIVISION 3. PROFESSIONS AND VOCATIONS GENERALLY [5000 – 9998.11]
CHAPTER 5.5. Legal Document Assistants and Unlawful Detainer Assistants [6400 – 6415]
ARTICLE 1. General Provisions [6400 – 6401.7]
(c) “Legal document assistant” means:
(1) Any person who…provides, …, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing themselves in a legal matter….
(2) A corporation, partnership, association, or other entity that employs or contracts with any person not exempted under Section 6401 who, as part of their responsibilities, provides, or assists in providing, or offers to provide, or offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing themselves in a legal matter or holds themselves out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This paragraph does not apply to an individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
(d) “Self-help service” means all of the following:
(1) Completing legal documents in a ministerial manner, selected by a person who is representing themselves in a legal matter, by typing or otherwise completing the documents at the person’s specific direction.
(2) Providing general published factual information that has been written or approved by an attorney, pertaining to legal procedures, rights, or obligations to a person who is representing themselves in a legal matter, to assist the person in representing themselves. This service, in and of itself, does not require registration as a legal document assistant.
(3) Making published legal documents available to a person who is representing themselves in a legal matter.
(4) Filing and serving legal forms and documents at the specific direction of a person who is representing themselves in a legal matter.
(e) “Compensation” means money, property, or anything else of value.
(f) A legal document assistant, including any legal document assistant employed by a partnership or corporation, shall not provide any self-help service for compensation, unless the legal document assistant is registered pursuant to Section 6402.
(g) A legal document assistant may not provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation to a consumer about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms, or strategies. A legal document assistant shall complete documents only in the manner prescribed by paragraph (1) of subdivision (d).